Case Study: The Zoetis “Paw Club Pet Care” Program
From large global firms to small family-run businesses, Stamp Me provides award-winning digital loyalty solutions to companies of all shapes and sizes around the world. One such client is Zoetis, the world’s largest producer of medicine and vaccinations for pets and livestock.
A bit of background on Zoetis...
Zoetis was formerly a subsidiary of Pfizer, the largest pharmaceutical company in the world, with operations in no less than 70 countries. These days, Zoetis is an independent organisation.
Zoetis produces an extensive range of premium prevention treatments for things like intestinal worms, heartworms, fleas and ticks. In order for these products to be effective, pet owners must regularly administer the treatments on an ongoing basis (usually monthly or quarterly).
Image Source: Zoetis
What challenge was Zoetis faced with?
“Let’s say you’re the proud owner of a Golden Retriever named Milo. Every six months or so, you take Milo down to the local vet for a check-up. The vet has a chat with you after the consultation, and highlights the importance of administering worm/tick/flea prevention treatment to Milo every month (or three months, or whatever it might be). You nod your head; of course you fully understand and agree on the importance, and then you and Milo go home. A month later, you could be forgiven for completely forgetting about the vet’s advice.”
See the problem? While Zoetis products are proven to be extremely effective in preventing certain illnesses or parasites in pets, it became clear that customers were either losing track of the treatment schedule or neglecting it altogether.
While most pet owners understand the benefits of these preventative treatments and are more than willing to use them, brand awareness in this area is low. For the average pet owner, veterinary clinic visitations and consultations are a once- or twice-a-year occurrence.
Despite the veterinarian advising them on the benefits of these treatments for the long-term health of their pet, that message quickly fades away into everyday life once the pet owner leaves the clinic and goes home.
Image Source: Zoetis Paw Club
How did Zoetis wish to overcome this challenge?
Zoetis approached Stamp Me Loyalty Solutions to develop and build a digital loyalty platform to reward clients for regularly purchasing (and applying) Zoetis products.
The pet medication producer also wanted to use the platform as a means for reminding the pet owner to administer the preventative treatments on a regular basis post-consultation, thus improving the health of domesticated animals everywhere.
These were the key objectives that Zoetis and Stamp Me wished to achieve:
- Provide vets with a tool for promoting a variety of Zoetis pet-care products to their clients.
- Create the means for pet owners to receive automatic reminders to administer treatments to their pets when required.
- Open up the lines of communication between Zoetis and pet owners for the promotion of products, events and news, as well as educational information on the importance of regular treatments.
- Strengthen the relationship between pet owners and the Zoetis brand, despite the product being delivered through an intermediary (the vet).
- Capture customer data for various valuable insights into consumer behaviour.
- Provide high-level security and cross-check on stamp issuance and redemptions.
- Quick and easy deployment and implementation of the platform across a large network.
- Low ongoing administration costs.
What solution did Stamp Me come up with?
Stamp Me Loyalty Solutions worked closely with Zoetis to create the Paw Club Pet Care loyalty program.
Image Source: Stamp Me Loyalty Solutions
In a nutshell, pet owners who subscribe to the app receive automatic reminders on their smartphones to administer treatments to their pets on a periodic basis. They receive a stamp for each purchase of the treatment, and upon completion of their designated program they receive a free product.
Here’s a breakdown of how customers interact with the app:
1. The vet promotes the Paw Club Pet Care program, and highlights the benefits.
2. The pet owner downloads the app, signs up, and subscribes to whichever program the vet deems relevant.
3. An automatic reminder is sent to the pet owner’s phone when it’s time to administer the next round of treatment to their pet.
4. The pet owner is rewarded with stamps for purchasing Zoetis products (one stamp for a one-month pack, three stamps for a three-month pack, six for a six-month pack… you get the idea).
5. Upon completion of the program, a reward is automatically sent to the My Rewards section of the pet owner’s app. They simply present the onscreen voucher to their clinic to receive the free product.
The benefits to the pet owner (and the pet, of course!), the veterinary clinic and Zoetis are pretty clear; the program is essentially a win-win-win.
Aside from the obvious benefits, the Paw Club Pet Care app also gains Zoetis access to valuable customer data, insights and analytics. This information allows Zoetis to directly engage its Paw Club members with relevant pet care information, special promotions and surveys via push notifications, texts and emails.
Image Source: Zoetis Paw Club
The program has initially been launched Australia-wide, targeting 1500 veterinary clinics.
The reason for choosing the Australian market as a starting point for the program is that 62% of Australian households own a pet (one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world), making it a very important market for Zoetis.
Going forward, the Paw Club Pet Care loyalty program will expand into other markets.
Stamp Me was able to tailor our award-winning digital rewards platform to meet the needs of Zoetis and its customers, and create a highly effective tool for increasing awareness of parasite prevention treatments among pet owners everywhere.
Stamp Me provides loyalty solutions to businesses large and small, from our own Loyalty App to fully customised loyalty and rewards programs for enterprises and brands.
Contact us if you would like to discuss a loyalty or rewards solution for your business or brand.